Friday 8 August 2008

Upgrades

Well, well, well. Had a bit of time today, so fitted the new servo and soldered the Dean's Ultras in place of the existing connectors. They are not so easy to solder, particularly as the LiPos have stupidly thick wire, so getting the female connectors on needed a bit of a fine hand (hint, I have dexterity that would make many gorillas giggle). Once in place they are, however, fantastic. No idea why other connectors exist :) The connectors are wonderful - much better solution than the big (6mm!) bullets I had before, and much safer. I had also ordered a LiPoSack for charging, so feel better about that too.

Now the servo. After a bit of farting about, I got it fitted and it makes an incredible difference. It's a BLS351, if anyone cares. The setup I had to correct the understeer now makes it oversteer like a crazy banana - so back to the drawing board on that - but I think I'm going to wait until I get the stiffer suspension arms and uprated shocks on and do a setup once things have stopped changing so frequently :)) Undoing bits of it also make me think that some bits might be better replaced by something stronger. Might have a chat with the local CNC shop if they can help me in exchange for a beer or two ;)

I also knocked back the advance on the ESC, mostly cos after all that I couldn't be arsed to fiddle around with the gearing. Motor reached about 90°C and ESC about 95°C after about 20 mins hard bashing with the advance knocked back. Now at least I have the thermometer thingy to check it. I'd like to change the gearing too, as I'd like a bit more acceleration, and am willing to trade top speed (which is still CRAZY).

Next step - get the rest of the hop-ups done (essentially the stiffer suspension arms and the better shocks) and then a decent radio :)

No comments: